John Sowash has been serving as an EdTech consultant since 2010. John works with school, districts, and universities around the world and speaks to thousands of educators each year. Below is a selection of John’s past presentations, publications, and workshops.
- Making Best Use of Free Google Tools to Enhance Content Learning, 2014
- “miGoogle Educators Conference”, MACUL Journal, Fall 2012
- “Flipping with Technology”, School Planning & Management, April 2012
- “Google, More Than Search” MACUL Journal, Fall 2010.
- “What Caught My Eye This Week”, Cheryl Oaks, Tech & Learning, November 2009
- “Learning from Google” Michigan Science Teachers Association, September 2009
- “Crayfish Dissection Guide” in Portage College Biology Lab Guide, 2009
- “iPods in the Classroom” MACUL Journal, Fall 2009
- Guest Blogger: LearnBoost, TechSmith EDU, GoEd Online
- “Collectors or Connectors – how should we teach?” 2014 MAME Conference, Oct. 2014
- “Collectors or Connectors – how should we teach?” Nardin Academy, Oct. 2014
- “Collectors or Connectors – how should we teach?” 2013 miGoogle Conference, Nov. 2013
- Choose the Web: using the internet as a platform for learning, Bedford Schools Techapalooza, August 2013
- “The Digital Natives are Restless” Spice It Up! Conference, Walled Lake, 2012
Memberships, Groups and Organizations:
- The EdReach Network, founding contributor
- Regional Coordinator (Michigan), Google Apps for Education Great Lakes User Group.
- Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning (MACUL), member
Awards and Nominations
- ScreenChamp award finalist, 2011
- Edubloger Award nominee, 2011
- Michigan Science Teachers Association “Teacher of Promise” award nominee, 2009.
miGoogle Conference Chair | 2012, 2013, 2014
Initiated and planned the first and second Michigan Google Education Summit impacting over 1,000 educators from the Midwest.
Google in the Classroom iTunesU Course | March – May 2012
Designed the first interactive course for the miLearning iTunesU channel, a joint project of the Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning (MACUL) and the Michigan Department of Education. This collection was the #1 ranked course in the Teaching and Learning Category for several weeks after it was published.
Google Tools Podcast Series | June 2009 – 2013
Created a series of video screencasts to help educators integrate various Google tools and web-based services into their classroom. This project was sponsored by the Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning (MACUL) and the Michigan Department of Education.
Biology Labcast Podcast Series | February – June 2009
Designed a series of video podcasts for use in high school biology classrooms which can be accessed on iTunesU and YouTube. This project was sponsored by the Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning (MACUL) and the Michigan Department of Education.